Thank you to all those who have engaged with a lively debate over the past few days.
If you would like to know more about the picture for young LGBT people in the North today, click on the research tab above or watch some films from our young people via the YouTube button.
You may have read some things in the papers or online this week about LGBT Youth North West’s plans for an LGBT school.
Let’s separate the facts from the fiction here:
1. We have received £63,000 Feasibility funding to take on a lease from Manchester City Council to run the LGBT Centre in Manchester on behalf of the LGBT community.
2. This funding includes training, a building refurb consultation, website support and funding for us to ask the LGBT Community what they want from the building.
3. If young LGBT people tell us they want an LGBT Inclusive school we will explore this.
1. No public money or grant income has been spent on a trip to New York.
2. No school plans have been developed currently. We are at very early consultation stages.
3. If we explore setting up an alternative education provision, this provision will be open to all pupils, and we would expect many pupils to not be LGBT.
It will also be in addition to what we currently do now, which is train over 10,000 pupils and teachers in mainstream schools each year, so we can make all mainstream schools safer for all pupils.
We work with some super schools that are really helping remove homophobia, biphobia and transphobia from education and we are proud of all their hard work.
For our press release please go here
For more information please email info [at] lgbtynw.org.uk